[FOSDEM] Coronavirus

Daniel Pocock daniel at pocock.pro
Sat Feb 1 09:41:53 CET 2020

On 01/02/2020 10:28, Jasper Nuyens wrote:

> The alternative strategy in the past - and educated to epidemiologists
> - has been to prevent mass panic by minimising the effects and spreads
> of a disease. But, as this disease spreads this fast, this strategy
> will be quickly obsoleted by,... mass panic. Ensuring the public can
> keep their trust in their elected officials who are supposed to
> protect them, is the best option. We have time now to prepare and act.

In one piece of news that many people have yet to notice, Monash
University has cancelled[1] 900 summer semester exams and delayed the
start of the next semester.

Monash is a bit bigger than ULB.  It is home to one of Australia's
top[2] medical schools and a lot of top researchers.

There are experts in Australia's universities on a par with and maybe
even ahead[3] of those at the WHO.  If they are now taking these
measures against mass gatherings then it needs careful attention.

It is not clear to me why Monash would make such a statement for
political reasons rather than scientific reasons.

Regards,

Daniel

1.
https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/monash-uni-cancels-900-exams-disrupts-4000-students-to-counter-virus-20200130-p53w9u.html