[FOSDEM] Disenfranchised by Google

Jens Finkhaeuser jens at finkhaeuser.de
Tue Jan 12 08:32:37 UTC 2021

Hi,

just my 2c: maybe it's time to bump up the visibility of the donations
page instead?

I mean, not everyone has money to spare, and I wouldn't want to
suggest they have to. But the more donations are taken, the less
sponsorship is necessary, and the less this kind of discussion has to
happen.

This would provide for some kind of organic middle ground emerging. I
sincerely doubt that donations will make all that difference, but
would be happy to be proven wrong. But since I was just looking for
a donation page and had to go through a couple of pages before finding
an IBAN, I can with certainty tell you that donating could be easier!

You can even make donations a "sponsorship light" - similar to how on
petition websites you can agree to have your name published, and how
on crowdfunding sites you can choose a funding level. The downside of
this is either manual effort (ugh) or interfacing with some kind of
immediate payment provider (ugh).

Just throwing some ideas here, nobody has to feel obliged to pick them
up :)

Jens