[Open-source-gamedev-devroom] RFC: Initial schedule for the open source games dev room at fosdem2012

Nils Kneuper crazy-ivanovic at gmx.net
Sat Dec 24 15:25:21 CET 2011

Hi everybody!
I took the time today to create a very preliminary schedule for the talks. My
basic ideas behind the schedule:
* Try to get all 9 proposed talks into the list, following desired times for
talks if mentioned in the mail.
* Try to be fair to all talks.
* Try to group "somehow related" stuff like eg the Data Driven topics.

The basic result is that I went for a schedule with 45min per speaker with a
5min break between each talk for switching speakers. At the beginning of the
day I added 10mins for greetings and the initial problems with the projector
(meaning "getting stuff to *really* work as expected). Since 9*50 + 10 is less
than 480min I placed some time for a (rather short) lunch break in the middle
of the talks. I decided to go for 5 talks before the break and 4 afterwards
since my experience is that the lunch crowd is more dense early on.

Here is my (initial!) schedule (also attached as libre office document with
easy to see markings). We only have the room on Sunday 5th.

09:00 - 09:10 - Welcome to the devroom (Nils Kneuper (Ivanovic); time to get
stuff started and working!)

09:10 - 09:55 - Xonotic: The road to 1.0 (Merlijn Hofstra)

10:00 - 10:45 - Anatomy of a role playing game (Arthur Huillet)

10:50 - 11:35 - Data-Driven and Component-Based Game-Entities (Thomas Kinnen)

11:40 - 12:25 - The Dynamic Data Driven Worlds of WorldForge (Alistair Riddoch)

12:30 - 13:15 - Pandora - a mobile Linux computer including gaming controls. A
short introduction and explanation of its long history and development.
(Michael Mrozek)

13:15 - 13:45 - LUNCHBREAK! (as well as further discussions between devs)

13:45 - 14:30 - Balancing a game: the open source way (Jeremy Rosen (Boucman))

14:35 - 15:20 - Getting Started With Ogre3d For Game Development (Erik Ogenvik)

15:25 - 16:10 - Game On - Game Creation and Distribution with Gluon (Dan
Leinir Turthra Jensen)

16:15 - 17:00 - The Future of Open Web Gaming (Rob Hawkes)

This is my initial listing. Some general comments right now:
1) @ Michael Mrozek: The title appears to be a little too long, maybe you can
shorten it?
2) @ Thomas Kinnen and Alistair Riddoch: I am not sure how much your talks
will overlap. My idea was to go for the "generic" stuff first and show some
more special case (worldforge) afterwards. Do you think this makes sense or
should the two talks be flipped? Or do you even think they should be separated
from each other since they might be too similar and because of this boring
listeners with repetitions?
3) If you have some conflict with the slot assigned to you, please make sure
to tell me ASAP.

Yes, the general idea is that you use the time for speaking *and* discussions
with the auditorium. You should assume that the projector is no longer
available to you in the 5min dedicated to switching speakers. This time is
meant for people rushing into or out of the room as well as setting up stuff
for the next talk.

I'll make sure to send more information about how I think stuff might work
during the day itself (stuff like hardware I should be able to bring and what
you should have with you).

I am looking forward to your feedback about this proposed schedule. Beside
this I wish you a merry Christmas!

Nils Kneuper aka Ivanovic

PS: Attached are the schedule as ods document as well as a text file with a
list of the proposed talks basically as I listed it in my last mail.