[Open-source-gamedev-devroom] "Call for Speakers" draft

Nils Kneuper crazy-ivanovic at gmx.net
Fri Nov 18 13:11:51 CET 2011

Okay, there was not too much activity over the last days. I'd like to get this
draft ready in the next 24h, so lets do some polishing and including of
feedback so far. It would be really great to get some feedback and polishing
really soon so that it can be published.

"
Open Source Game Development devroom: Call for Speakers

FOSDEM2010 will host a devroom centered on the development of Free and Open
Source Games. Possible speakers (and topic suggestions) are invited to make
their proposals. The game development devroom takes place on Sunday, February
5th, 09:00 - 17:00 in room AW1.120 (74 seats).

As topics anything regarding Open Source Game Development is allowed and
wanted. This includes talks about game specific areas like AI development as
well as community integration, artwork (graphics and sound), translations in
the context of games, integration of usermade content, cross platform porting
(eg to mobile devices like phones) or whatever else you might find.

FOSDEM is a conference centered on technical topics, as a result, the talks
ought to cover technical issues that are relevant to open source game
development. Speakers are encouraged to draw on their own experience as game
developers in order to convey a message that is of interest to the game
development community as a whole. The sessions are not limited to just holding
a talk. If you have an idea for e.g. doing a short competition or a discussion
round, this can also be a session, though sessions that are a talk or a
presentation are prefered.

People interested in holding a session should let that intention be known on
the open-source-gamedev-devroom at lists.fosdem.org mailinglist[1], with the
following information:

- - Their name
- - The project they are associated with
- - A (short) bio, to be put on the website along with their speaker name
- - (optionally) a picture of themselves
- - The title of their session (which will go on the website and in the booklet)
- - A (short) abstract describing the session in further detail.
- - The desired approximate duration for the session.
- - The desired timeslot in which they want to hold the session.

Suggested times for the duration are 55min or 25min. Please keep in mind that
the times are *very* strict. So better go for 45 or 15mins and assume some
extra time to be used for discussions and questions.
The desired timeslot is meant to help you preventing conflicts with other dev
rooms in which you might have a talk or your travel arrangements.

The deadline for submissions is December 23rd, 23:00 GMT+1. The list of
accepted sessions will most likely be published on the
open-source-gamedev-devroom at lists.fosdem.org mailinglist[1] until December
30th, 23:00 GMT+1.
"

So much about the draft itself. Please comment on it, send edited versions,
add it to some "group edit site" and change it there and provide the link to
the changed version on this list. As I said, I plan to send the call for
speakers to the fosdem announcement list some time later tomorrow, so that
there is about a month time for the submission of proposed sessions.

Regarding the selection of sessions:
* Everyone on this list will be able to see every proposed topic.
* I will go through the list and do some rough collection of them rather
shortly after the deadline (meaning: I don't like last min contributions, the
earlier I get the proposal the more I will like it! ;)) and send some initial
collection of possible talks that I think could form the list of sessions.
* Yes, I will be biased when it comes to the selection of sessions. I will
prefer orgs that help with organizing the dev room and that do support it
(meaning the orgs that stated "yeah, we want this room, too" during the gsoc
mentor summit are more likely to get a slot than an unknown org or some tiny
project.
* In general I will prefer known projects that have managed to get something
working to small projects that basically nobody has heard about.
* I will also try to go for a diverse schedule listing various areas. This
means that I will try to make sure that there are not 10 talks about "how to
create and open source 3D engine" or something along those lines.
* Yes, I know that not all proposed sessions can be accepted. I also know that
this might lead to some hurt feelings, but there is no way around this so I'll
be able to handle this burden. Though I do welcome feedback regarding the
talks as well as their arrangement in the list and am very willing to listen
to advice.
* If you can propose a better way for me to handle the selection, feel free to
share it. In case there is no such way proposed, I'll just try to handle it in
a way that feels "right" to me and might just work.

Cheers,
Nils Kneuper aka Ivanovic