Hi, Do you think a non-developer but rather foss enthusiast (and aspiring developer) who knows a little bit about *nix and a little bit about programming should attend fosdem? The talks about software patents, the olpc, gplv3 and such seem interesting, what other not-so-technical talks would you suggest? I ask this because it's a long train-bus ride and I have to weigh my chances of getting lost to what I would gain at fosdem ;) This might sound like a stupid question but does anyone know what bus line goes back from fosdem to brussel centraal (preferably around 16u-17u) ? (http://www.stib.irisnet.be appears to only show time tables for individual bus lines) bob
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE----- Hash: SHA1 bob wrote:
Do you think a non-developer but rather foss enthusiast (and aspiring developer) who knows a little bit about *nix and a little bit about programming should attend fosdem?
Absolutely. FOSDEM is a unique occasion to meet and discuss with a lot of people who are deeply involved into FOSS, sort of seeing the guts of how it works and what makes it tick. The atmosphere is very relaxed, you can really just go to anyone and discuss, around a beer or a coffee, or a booth ;)
The talks about software patents, the olpc, gplv3 and such seem interesting, what other not-so-technical talks would you suggest?
Hard to answer, we have around 200 talks during the event. The Developer Rooms also host a huge amount of talks on different topics, most technical, some less: http://fosdem.org/2007/schedule/devrooms
I ask this because it's a long train-bus ride and I have to weigh my chances of getting lost to what I would gain at fosdem ;)
I can promise FOSDEM is definitely worth visiting ;)
This might sound like a stupid question but does anyone know what bus line goes back from fosdem to brussel centraal (preferably around 16u-17u) ? (http://www.stib.irisnet.be appears to only show time tables for individual bus lines)
I'm not from Brussels, tough for me to answer that one (I would have pointed to the STIB's website actually). Note that a taxi is always an option as well. cheers - -- -o) Pascal Bleser <loki@fosdem.org> http://www.fosdem.org /\\ FOSDEM 2007 :: 24 + 25 February 2007 in Brussels _\_v Free and Opensource Software Developers European Meeting -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE----- Version: GnuPG v1.4.5 (GNU/Linux) iD8DBQFF3b4Zr3NMWliFcXcRAmOoAJ41Z+cQGjXyfOtVFhCkmKPqDhrN8wCaAlIY KuRf5nYjVxUpyZBMd+nF4uA= =swI+ -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
On Thu, Feb 22, 2007 at 04:52:21PM +0100, bob wrote:
Hi,
Do you think a non-developer but rather foss enthusiast (and aspiring developer) who knows a little bit about *nix and a little bit about programming should attend fosdem?
Why not?
The talks about software patents, the olpc, gplv3 and such seem interesting,
what other not-so-technical talks would you suggest?
Not sure. But FOSDEM is more than just talks alone; meeting all kinds of people from many different places is just as important, and does not necessarily require technical skills. Also, the booth area and/or popping in and out of talks is a very good way to learn about new technologies. -- <Lo-lan-do> Home is where you have to wash the dishes. -- #debian-devel, Freenode, 2004-09-22
Le jeudi 22 février 2007, bob a écrit :
The talks about software patents, the olpc, gplv3 and such seem interesting,
what other not-so-technical talks would you suggest?
I don't have the list of talk under the and, but two years ago I was at there and follow the talk about LVM. Even I am an OSS developers, and even my poor english, the talk was easy to understand and clearly not for developers, more to discover what features LVM2 provides. Don't think all talk are hard to understand for a begginer, they can be just a way to discover a software.
Hello Bob, I live in Brussels and I think bus 71 can help you most. It goes from De Brouckère to Delta and there is a stop at Brussel Centraal and you get of at ULB. Your immediately at Fosdem. To answer to your question if it is worth the trip? Yes, most definitly. Even if you don't understand everything (which is my case). I hope you'll come. Erik. bob <bob.van.hove@gma il.com> To fosdem@lists.fosdem.org 22/02/2007 16:53 cc Subject Please respond to [FOSDEM] some questions FOSDEM visitors <fosdem@lists.fos dem.org> Hi, Do you think a non-developer but rather foss enthusiast (and aspiring developer) who knows a little bit about *nix and a little bit about programming should attend fosdem? The talks about software patents, the olpc, gplv3 and such seem interesting, what other not-so-technical talks would you suggest? I ask this because it's a long train-bus ride and I have to weigh my chances of getting lost to what I would gain at fosdem ;) This might sound like a stupid question but does anyone know what bus line goes back from fosdem to brussel centraal (preferably around 16u-17u) ? (http://www.stib.irisnet.be appears to only show time tables for individual bus lines) bob _______________________________________________ FOSDEM mailing list FOSDEM@lists.fosdem.org http://lists.fosdem.org/mailman/listinfo/fosdem
participants (5)
-
bob -
Erik_VANDERHASSELT@stpierre-bru.be -
Olivier Thauvin -
Pascal Bleser -
Wouter Verhelst